When you’re plagued by asthma and allergies, you really don’t care what’s causing it. You just want relief. Here are a few helpful tips that may help you better manage the symptoms.
While we can’t provide total relief, we can assure you that when carpet is properly maintained it does not increase the incidence of asthma and allergies. We use hot water extraction to clean carpets, which is the most commonly recommended method as it does not contain chemicals, which can further irritate sensitive nasal cavities.
Controlling indoor air quality may help you better control asthma and allergy symptoms by restoring healthy environments. Here are four things you can test to see how they work for you:
1) Wash bedding weekly in hot water to kill dust mites.
2) Vacuum at least once or twice per week. If possible, use a vacuum with a HEPA-filter.
3) Prevent animal dander by not having pets with feathers or fur.
4) Clean pet urine stains promptly. Urine contains ammonia, which can aggravate sinuses. Urine can be removed by lightly applying vinegar and purified water, then gently blotting. Professional carpet cleaning may be required to neutralize the odor.
5) Keep pollen out of your home by leaving windows and doors closed when possible. Air conditioning reduces humidity and, therefore, helps control dust mites.
The fur-covered and feathered roommates we choose bring us as much joy as they do dander and oil. Our uninvited roommates bring us other things to deal with. While they cannot always be completely removed, they can be managed. We hope you found these tips and links useful.Prev: 5 Confidence-Boosting Reminders for Hosting a Graduation Party at HomeNext: Not Sure You Have Water Damage? Here’s Why to Call AnywayView All Resources